EDUCATED + UNDERRATED

That feeling when you go to school for 4+ years but every entry level job still requires 5+ years of professional experience.  Some...


That feeling when you go to school for 4+ years but every entry level job still requires 5+ years of professional experience. 


Some may think “Why didn’t you do internships?” Well for someone whose expenses weren’t covered and having a job or two was necessary, taking on unpaid opportunities isn’t always an option. I was only able to intern once and this was due to a graduation requirement in the form of an internship course. Had this not been a mandatory aspect of my education I would have never had the chance to get the little experience I acquired. I'm still grateful to the magazine who took a chance on me. But I had so many peers who weren't required to and did not have the luxury of learning in that capacity. 





This lack of experience leaves you with few options once you walk across that ceremonial stage making your family proud and experiencing a brief moment of accomplishment) and onto the other side where the excitement of putting the talent or skills you’ve spent years honing to work is crushed by those 3 little words... “years of experience.”  Ironically, you'll see several positions with degree requirement missing in action.



This is just a thought I’ve had over the past few months in my post graduate state of feeling looked over because I spent time earning something thats so hard to put to use now that I’m done. With graduation around the corner for so many of you I only wish good luck, mental health & positivity. For anyone dealing with this I welcome your thoughts!

*Extended and Edited from original Instagram post from May 3rd, 2018* 
Original Text: https://www.instagram.com/p/BiVEOgqHOED/

You Might Also Like

0 comments